PILAS Annual Conference 2017
Discontinuities and Resistance in Latin America
University of Leeds
26 - 27 June 2017
The Postgraduates in Latin American Studies (PILAS) Committee invites postgraduate researchers and junior academics from the arts, humanities and social sciences fields to present their work, engage in debate, and share their research on Latin America.
PILAS Annual Conference 2017 will be held at the University of Leeds on the 26 and 27 of June 2017. The Conference is FREE to attend and will include keynote speakers, workshops and engaging social activities.
The theme of the conference is “Discontinuities and Resistance in Latin America”.
For more information and Call for Papers and Panels visit: https://pilasconference.com/
Spring Term Events
- PILAS Fieldwork Day
2015: PILAS held its first ‘Fieldwork in Latin America’ day on Friday 6th February, which was kindly hosted by Queen Mary, University of London. More information about the Fieldwork Day is available on our PILAS blog.
Autumn - Winter Events
- PILAS Workshop: Fieldwork in Latin America
2016: University of Sheffield (22 November.)
Fieldwork in Latin America was a workshop aimed at fostering interactions between and providing first hand advice to PGR students who planed to have fieldwork experience in Latin America. Through a series of talks, practical exercises and group discussions, the event provided an excellent opportunity to think about common challenges and offered pragmatic solutions to issues that PGR might encounter before, during and after the fieldwork experience. More information: https://pilasconference.com/pre-conference-activities/fieldwork-workshop/
- Special Events
2013: Postgraduate workshop with Professor Walter Mignolo (15 & 16 April).
- PILAS at the British Library: PILAS at the British Library has become one of the most engaging and popular pre-conference activities of our society in the last years.
- 2016: A round-table discussion with the Latin American writers Chloe Aridjis and Carlos Fonseca Suárez, preceded by the traditional visit to the Library. (23 January).
- 2015: PILAS at the British Library (13 November)
- 2014: PILAS at the British Library (7 November)
- 2013: PILAS at the British Library and British Museum, (8 November)
- 2012: PILAS at the British Library, (23 November).
You can read a report by PILAS committee member Jenny Wattrus here
- 2011: PILAS at the British Library, (25 November)
- 2010: PILAS at the British Library, (19 November)
PILAS at the British Library, 19th November 2010. Please click on the resources page to access the presentations that were given and find out more about the Latin American resources of the British Library and beyond.
PILAS@SLAS Annual Lunch Event
2015 – University of Aberdeen, 18th April.
2013 – University of Manchester. Event: Workshop on “Organising a conference”
2012 – University of Sheffield, 20th April 2012. Event: Workshop on “Networking”
2011 – University of St. Andrew’s, 8th April 2011. Event: Workshop on “Presentation skills”
2010 – University of Bristol, 10th April 2010. Event: Workshop on “What next? Publishing and creative uses of your research”
2009 – University of Leeds, 27th March 2009. Event: Research resources questionnaire
2008 – University of Liverpool. Event: Workshop led by Tony Kapcia
Past PILAS Conferences
See the Past Conferences section of our website.